Our Work With The Utilities Industry
Safety Dimensions has extensive experience working with the utilities sector having partnered with key suppliers of Gas, Electricity and Water throughout Australia. Our experience includes partnering with utility providers at all levels of business operations; from mining and power generation, distribution, service and maintenance, through to the corporate and retail service divisions. Furthermore, we understand the challenges facing contractors and suppliers to the utilities sector and have vast experience in assisting such organisations build robust systems, processes to ensure long-term successful partnerships.
We understand the unique challenges associated with the utilities sector and specialise in the design and implementation of Safety Leadership, Behavioral Based Safety and Cultural Change initiatives that deliver long term cultural change and improved safety performance.
Client Name: ActewAGL Retail Division
Description of Services:
Safety Dimensions was commissioned by ActewAGL to assist the retail division develop and implementing a multiphase strategy entitled Where Strategy turns to Action. The objective of the program was to address the need for all members of the Retail Division of ActewAGL to understand their own personal accountability to keep themselves and their team mates safe.
The delivery structure for this program featured a modularised set of learning events’ not unlike the 7 Phase approach proposed by Transport for New South Wales. Whilst Safety Dimensions had a key role to play in the consulting and first year of delivery to the CEO, Executive Team, Leaders, People Leaders and Health, Safety, Quality and Environment team, the ultimate objective was then to enable the ActewAGL internal team to roll-out front line training using their internal resources.
Number and levels of learners:
The program strategy commenced with a cascading roll-out of consistent messages and declarations of personal responsibility and accountability from Senior Leadership down to the front-line. This occurred in a number of phases:
- Direct Reports to the CEO
Core deliverables for this Town Hall style communication were:
- A shared vision
- Launch Plan
- Personal Commitments
The personal commitments of the senior team were signed and displayed as posters around the walls as a visible statement to all staff of the standards and behaviours that senior leaders believed and committed to that would be required to ensure the successful delivery of the desired strategic cultural change.
- Leaders’ Workshop – a Town Hall style conference was delivered to 60 senior leaders to build a shared understanding of what the organisation required of every leader to be able to deliver on the ambitious ActewAGL Health and Safety vision.
- People Leader Development – Delivery of a tailored, 3 day accredited Safety Leadership program
- Health, Safety, Quality and Environment Team Development – A workshop focused predominantly on the development of skills that would assist this group to become Guides on the Side, informal coaches for the behavioural change required at the front-line in order to achieve the goals of Keeping Everyone Safe.
Often we are bound by confidentiality clauses that prohibit us from mentioning some of our clients names.
We have worked with the utilities sector on interventions covering:
- Health, Safety, Quality and Environment Team Development
- Leadership Workshops
- People Development
- Contractor Management
Our programs relevant to the utilities industry include:
- Safety Leadership Foundation Program
- BSB41419 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
- BSB40520 Certificate IV in Leadership and Management
- Masterclass in Safety for Senior Leaders
- Subcontractor Management
- Incident Investigation
- Task Risk Assessment