Not getting improvements in your safety leadership culture, or safety statistics?
It’s highly likely your organisation has failed to engage your people at the ‘hearts and minds’ level required to create and sustain a strong safety culture.
Research shows unsafe acts (behaviours) contribute to 80% of accidents or incidents, whilst unsafe conditions contribute to 20% of accidents or incidents (Hollnagel 1993, Reason 1990).
Frighteningly, this shows that people’s behaviours are more responsible for accidents than are unsafe environments. The statistics highlight that organisations can have the most stringent safety processes and procedures in the world, yet still have a high incident rate through a failure to engage workers’ values, beliefs, mindsets and attitudes – the keys to changing behaviour.
With a strong demand from organisations in Australia and the UAE, Safety Dimensions has developed a two-day ‘Engaging Hearts and Minds – Creating And Sustaining A Strong Safety Culture’ program, which blends two safety approaches:
1. Engaging the mind through Behavioural Based Safety (BBS) focused on changing behaviour by understanding the mechanics behind our behaviour and;
2. Engaging the heart through Values Based Safety (VBS) which focuses on what drives behaviour at a deep internal level by aligning safety with the values and beliefs of the individual.
When blended together, Safety Dimensions’ approach captures the hearts and minds of a workforce to ensure sustainable behaviour change is achieved over time.
This highly practical eight-topic program is designed for groups of 8-20 people over 2 days.
Topics covered by participants are:
- Safety is personal – Understanding why safety is important to you.
- Safety in the workplace – When do you feel safe at work? Why?
- Why do people behave the way they do? The psychology of human behaviour and human factors
- Changing safety behaviour – Communication and consultation
- What makes a good safety culture – The Hudson maturity model
- Strengthening the culture – Identifying and managing risk
- Strengthening the culture – Setting standards
- Embedding new beliefs, attitudes and behaviours – The next steps
Need to engage hearts and minds of your people?
Call us to talk about how we can customise this program to specific needs of your organisation.
Phone 1300 453 555, internationally on +613 9510 0477 or click below.
More from our blog
Want to give your business the edge for 2019? Want to do it at no cost to your business? Queensland tradies have a limited opportunity to get WHS training, funded by their building and construction industry body, Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ). Being...read more
In 2018, the preliminary data showed 154 Australian workers were killed at work, a reduction compared with 190 workers in 2017. Why does it take so long to get data on fatalities? 2018 figures are preliminary figures and are updated only once the...read more
Being a leader means you’re tasked with many responsibilities, across managing people and teams, organisational expectations and performance. Not every leader is awesome at all aspects of leading teams – here are four common mistakes you may be...read more