Being a leader means youre tasked with many responsibilities, across managing people and teams, organisational expectations and performance. Not every leader is awesome at all aspects of leading teams – here are four common mistakes you may be making:
- No vision.
Without a clear vision compelling your team into action, does your team know what youre all trying to achieve at a top level? And why should they care?
- Not developing your people.
Are you setting goals to support a growth mindset and creating an opportunity for your people to develop? If not, youre wasting their potential to move themselves, yourself (as their leader), and the organisation forward.
- Not knowing where to focus your energy.
With so much to manage, do you know what the best use of your time and resources are? Not being able plan and prioritise your people and resources is a recipe for disaster.
- Not delegating.
Burnt out? Micro-managing because you cant let go? Chances are youre doing too many things your team should be responsible for. You are also stifling their development. You need to find the balance between a hands-off approach and micromanaging. Look at additional training and development you think they lack and plan regular check-ins while theyre doing their job so you can concentrate on your priorities.
Want to develop your ability to lead teams?
Our Leading Teams program is designed both for managers of intact teams, project teams and for team members working in a matrixed organisation. This program outlines the key stages of team development and how to move the team from early relationship development through to an aligned focus on goals and a collaborative workflow.
Our 2-day program also focuses on planning and prioritisation in order to create efficiencies, reduce rework and optimise individual performance. The Leading Teams program can be taken on its own, or as part of the BSB40520 Certificate IV in Leadership & Management.
After this two-day Leading Teams program youll be able to:
- Better appreciate where to focus your team’s energy in order to increase influence and reduce lost time on things beyond their control
- Plan, prioritise and evaluate resources in order to create efficiencies and optimise performance
- Identify opportunities to delegate tasks that support individual skills development and in-role growth
- Recognise behaviours that occur at each stage of team development
- Intervene appropriately to lead individuals through the stages of team development (either as a manager or team member)
- Review your current team against the characteristics of a high-performing team and develop strategies to progress toward this
- Build a vision and a compelling reason to motivate team members and subcontractors to work together toward optimal performance
- Set goals to support a growth mindset and opportunities for development
- Create action plans that can be implemented with current teams
Want to see how this program impacted Downer? Read more here: https://safetydimensions.com.au/leadership-excellence-at-downer/
Want more info?
Read more about our program BSB40520 Certificate IV in Leadership & Management>
Want this program customised for your workplace and industry?
Call 03 9510 0477 or email [email protected]
From our blog
Our newest programs Diversity & Inclusion, Time Management and Leading Through Change can be delivered either face-to-face at your workplace or via our live instructor-led interactive online platform, LDN-i. Diversity & Inclusion Diversity and Inclusion in the...
What does it take to win large pieces of work? At Safety & Leadership Dimensions, we work closely with companies in their tender process and often get asked to partner on large tenders as part of their winning tender team. Here's what we see makes a successful...
Tragically, 194 people were fatally injured at work in 2020. Safe Work Australia has published the Work-related Traumatic Injury Fatalities Australia 2020 report, a report that provides statistics about injury-related deaths arising from work-related activities. While...
In September 2021, new laws passed the Victorian parliament to ensure that labour-hire workers have the same rights and safety protections as other workers. The Occupational Health and Safety and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2021 (the Act) amends the Occupational...
Van Halen's Brown M&Ms - Their Key To Rock and Roll Safety There's a long tradition of musicians and actors adding absurd demands to their performance contracts just because they could. Van Halen, the American hair rock band of the 80s was infamous for this...
WorkSafe Victoria has produced a guide on how to prevent workplace injuries to employees. According to the guide, "Fatigue is an acute and/or ongoing state of exhaustion that leads to physical, mental or emotional exhaustion and prevents people from functioning safely...