Have you undertaken a current risk assessment to identify the risks associated with exposure to COVID-19 in your workplace? Safe Work Australia has published a downloadable checklist you can follow with the key considerations for identifying risks and control measures.
Some of the considerations to include in your risk assessment include:
- What is the latest advice from the government and key industry and employee associations on control measures?
- What is the current advice from health authorities about the current situation and case numbers, public health orders and health directions for COVID-19 cases in the local community/region? Information on the latest number and location of COVID-19 cases (including in some cases heat maps) is available from your jurisdictional health authority here >>
- Does the nature of the work undertaken by my business increase the risk of my workers being exposed to COVID-19?
- Does my workplace have facilities for hand washing and/or hand sanitising?
- Does my workplace environment/set-up increase the risk of my workers and/or clients being exposed to COVID-19 and can this be changed?
- Do I have workers that fall within a vulnerable worker category?
- What are my current cleaning and disinfecting arrangements and are they consistent with guidance provided by Safe Work Australia?
- How prepared is my business if there is a case of COVID-19 in the workplace?
- What worker communication and support mechanisms are in place?
- Do the changes I plan to make to my business or changes arising from COVID-19 change the risk?
- Do I have a plan to review my control measures to ensure they are effective?
You can download detailed Key considerations for undertaking a risk assessment – COVID-19 from Safe Work Australia here https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/doc/key-considerations-undertaking-risk-assessment-covid-19
Ready to train your people in risk management, hazard identification and subcontractor management?
We have a range of programs to train your people in risk management, hazard identification and subcontractor management which can be tailored specifically to your industry and organisational needs. Training can be delivered as individual modules or as part of one of our accredited programs.
You can see our full program suite here >> or see some relevant units below:
Risk Assessment & Hazard Identification
This program helps you identify and describe the difference between a hazard and a risk, and introduces a way of thinking about hazard identification and risk management as an everyday activity.
It will also enhance the skills and capabilities of leaders in the areas of hazard identification, risk analysis and identification and how to implement appropriate risk controls.
Learn to effectively manage WHS site risks and performance by learning how to effectively select, manage and monitor the complex and difficult world of subcontractors. It also covers the WHS obligations regarding subcontractors, stepping through the various stages of effective subcontractor management, including assessing, evaluating safety history, attitude and managing expectations of performance and reporting.
The BSB41419 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety is a nationally accredited program which will teach you how to identify hazards in the workplace, assist with responding to incidents, assess and control risk and consult on work health and safety issues. This program is most suited to those in a Safety Officer or Health and Safety Representatives role, or those currently in leadership roles wishing to shift their career into Health and Safety.
From our blog
What does ‘work’ look like for you and your team in this current situation? If your team is working remotely or combining work in the office with work from home, there may be a lack of certainty about when we may all be able to return to work as we knew it, and when...
Need a break from COVID news? Take a virtual tour in nature with explore.org nature cams from the comfort of your desktop. Choose from a range of relaxing footage, from oceans to wildlife and nature sanctuaries all around the globe. Find hundreds of streams here:...
In light of masks being mandatory across all of Victoria and highly recommended in some other states, we have republished this article from The Conversation. Which mask works best? We filmed people coughing and sneezing to find out. If you’re not sure whether wearing...
Victoria has made Workplace Manslaughter a criminal offence and will now have the highest safety fine in the country with maximum penalties of $16.5m and 20 years jail. Victoria is the third state after ACT and Queensland to legislate to make Workplace Manslaughter a...
Kevin Walker undertook the BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety*, a nationally recognised qualification which trained him to identify hazards in the workplace, assist with responding to incidents, assess and control risk, and consult on work health and...
Hasn’t the world changed? In a short period, we now have a ‘new normal’. For some, this has meant working from home, for others, reduced hours, being stood down, or unfortunately retrenched. What has become certain is that life is uncertain. Yet, the need to...